Our Horses

Page One is Felix | Gypsy and Tonto | Rico | Merc | Irish | Topaz | Waylon | Lawson | Brodie |
This Page is Perdon | Linka and Lilly | Moose | Big Ben | Devon | Honner | Cobber and Digger | Tex

Page Three is Rebel | Kokoda | Beriah | Phoenix | Mae-Lee | Lakota | Ike

Page Four is Omar | Matilda | Red and Lilly | Bella






As the owners were expecting their first child, they decided for the time being to place him in a well recommended horse complex for a period of twelve months. During a visit some months later to check on his welfare, they were horrified and deeply angered to find him in a much deteriorated condition. He was severely lame with cuts to his forehead, back and rump, under weight (as shown in the photo on "Happy Snaps") and his hooves had not been attended to.

Perplexed, the owners contacted C.H.S. to ask if there was any possibility of boarding their beloved horse with us to recover until they could sell him to worthy new owners. Eight weeks on at C.H.S., the owners were delighted to see a fine recovery in Perdon due to the close human contact, daily grooming, good quality food and consistent attention to his hooves. During that time, not only his physical well being, but his emotional and spiritual well being thrived due to the company of a well adjusted herd.

Seeing this, the owners were moved to make a very unselfish and difficult decision by putting Perdon's welfare first and requested us, if at all possible for him to become a full time resident, the answer of course was yes. Our only concern, was that because he has such a beautiful personality, we could have another "Mr Perfect" amongst the herd.

LINKA ... Miniature Pony LILY ...Miniature Pony

On the 2nd February, 2015 Calan Horse Sanctuary opened its gates and hearts in anticipation of the arrival of two worthy little ponies

Linka and Lily

Special amenities had been prepared for them; a large paddock to graze in with two rescued lambs for companionship, a horse stable to shelter in and a beautiful, large Eucalyptus tree for shade plus, willing hands to care for them. Alas, they did not arrive and we feel compelled to explain why.

Back in February of 2013, an exceptionally brave lady, intervened on behalf of these two dear little ponies, due to the fact they were badly neglected. She sought professional help and was told that Linka’s condition was too far gone and would need to be euthanized and her progeny, Lily, would need extensive treatment. Unwilling to put Linka down, this fine lady admitted them both to a veterinary clinic (footing the bill) where with loving professional care they were brought back from the brink of certain death.

Their x-rays revealed the extent of the pain they must have suffered over a long period, all because of their owner’s inability to administer duty of care. Due to the wonderful lady, and her whole family, who rescued them, they had received a second chance at life - one they deserved.

By the end of 2014, these two innocent animals were again in deep trouble. Unfortunately, they had been returned to their original owner who had promised to take better care of them; the law being on the side of the owner. Once again, the same brave, goodhearted lady stepped-in and admitted them to the same veterinary clinic. It was hoped that their condition, like before, could be reversed. With authorization in-place, they were to be transported to Calan Horse Sanctuary to convalesce.

Linka and Lily were now unable to walk and the x-rays revealed the full extent of their condition. Both their four hooves had Laminitis. In one of Linka’s hooves the coffin bone was completely broken away from the hoof wall. When first observed by us prior to their
removal we noticed they stood with their backs arched and their bodies tilted backwards; we wondered why? Of course the reason was their desperate need to try in some way, to elevate their weight from the hooves, but this caused unnatural strain and more pain on every part of their little bodies, a domino effect.

With hopeful hearts, Calan Horse Sanctuary and volunteers waited anxiously to hear the results of the x-rays. Everything was in place for their new life, one of hope, safety, tranquility, well kept hooves and pain free, but alas, it was not to be. A tearful and heartfelt decision was made to end their terrible relentless suffering; one they had endured for far too long. C.H. S. received the emotional phone call from their benefactress to say, regrettably at 3 pm, 2nd February 2015 the mare and her filly were put to sleep.

There is no doubt that the premature deaths of
Linka and Lily were preventable. It all comes down to three words;

Duty of Care



MOOSE (Gideon) .... Thorougbred.... Retired

On the 2nd  November, 2014, C.H.S. opened its gates and heart to a seven-- year-- old thoroughbred gelding (16.2 hands), not because of abuse, neglect, abandonment or old age. His lovely young owner had reluctantly brought him to us because he can no longer be ridden in the sport they both love. In the above photos, it is plain to see they both enjoyed many happy times involved in exhibition riding – Shalee and Moose were committed to each other.

Then, out of the blue, Moose was diagnosed with cancer of the right eye. A costly operation successfully removed the affected third eyelid. Sometime later, bad luck struck again when he became lame in both hind legs; diagnosed as Bilateral Hind limb Suspensory Ligament Desmitis, in June of this year. The stress on his hind legs caused them to become painfully swollen. Shalee was left with a heart wrenching decision to retire her beloved horse.

Finding a new home for Moose proved difficult, especially when it became known he could no longer be ridden. After many enquiries, Shalee heard of C.H.S. and phoned  and arranged a visit to plead Moose’s case, as he did not fit the criteria of C.H.S. After much soul searching on the part of both parties, an agreement was made to accept Moose as a permanent resident within the family of Calan Horse Sanctuary.

The day Shalee and her partner Mat delivered Moose, it was obvious to all of the love and commitment the gelding had received, a commitment she has undertaken to continue with support of Moose while he resides at C.H.S.

Shalee agreed to C.H.S giving him a new name and ‘Gideon’ was chosen – brave and a warrior at heart.


'BIG' BEN...Thoroughbred...Rescued

Unable to be trained as a racehorse due to his height of 17.1 hands, he was purchased by a Dressage rider, where he competed successfully in unofficial Dressage events as a novice. Unfortunately, he developed a bad attitude to the attending crowds, right at the start of his Eventing career. Due to this anomaly, he was given away as a rogue, but his new owner persevered and took him to novice level, but was unable to take him further.

In spite of this, Ben continued to live the next ten years of his life at the property. During those years the owners developed a horse stud with up to twenty-eight horses in their care, which, due to the heavy work load imposed on running a horse stud, it became difficult to give Ben the T.L.C. he needed. Now seventeen years old and arthritic, the owners became aware he was not thriving. Genuine efforts were made to find him other homes where he could peacefully live out the rest of his life, this was at the time unsuccessful. Eventually, his health became such a concern, his owners, reluctantly considered putting him to sleep, but only as a last resort.

Six years before, C.H.S. had made a promise that should Ben ever need a home, the 'welcome mat' would be thrown down for him. (Refer 'News' page on this website)

On the 23rd August 2014 Ben stepped out onto C.H.S.'s welcome mat. He has become the largest horse to reside at the sanctuary which has prompted us to add "Big" to his name. Big Ben has now joined the family herd of fourteen other horses. It gives us much pleasure to bring the big fella on board, and we make the pledge that we will do our utmost to care for him with respect and honour he deserves.



DEVON...Thoroughbred... Rescued

As mentioned on the "News" item page there is little known about this horse, except that the past two years he has been on his own and residing in two separate small pens with a ground surface of only loose sand.

This existence no doubt would have resulted in a very lonely and possibly bored horse.

As soon as Devon's hooves touched the ground on this property, he zealously commenced grazing as seen in the above photograph.

Because of the urgent dental work required, an appointment as soon as possible will be made with the equine dentist.

As soon as he has settled into his new environment, a start will commence in returning his hooves back to a healthy state.

Just to highlight what a observable horse this fella is, during the routine with the morning meal upon which eighteen gates are opened and shut, only after two days was he discovered standing at HIS GATE.

To the kind lady horse person who took him in, even though being short of land space and with extra pressure being placed on the family budget which includes young children, we say "Well Done".

We will continue your good work and contribute towards a quality of life he deserves with everything we have at our disposal.




Honner lost his eye when he was one year old and at the time of taking this photo it was obvious what a problem it is to him. At this moment he was searching for the herd that were a fair distance away. He seemed to be having a problem focusing and locking on as his breathing and body language seem to indicate, he was using more energy than usually required.

Honner has been a companion horse on a number of occasions and his life started a down hill slope when he was dangerously and wrongfully sold as a sound riding horse. The buyer was a fine sincere mother who had a desire to enjoy horses with her son. On his first ride the lad had a serious accident resulting with injuries. The determined mother tried another horse which also resulted with an accident and sadly broke her pelvis and lost an eye.

Honner was then assigned to an agistment centre for a period of time while a new owner was found, the new owner was to be informed about his lack of riding capabilities, this was not successful and the centre was instructed to send him to the slaughter house. The owner and staff of the complex disagreed and decided to continue the care without cost until a home could be found for him.

Clare who is a natural horse person who spent time with him on a regular basis, volunteered to help find a new owner and together with Karen of Narrogin they approached C.H.S and the result of that is on the “News" page.

We witnessed some different and interesting events with the new arrival, especially the way the other twelve horses treated him. Upon being noticed by the herd they all as usual galloped down to check on the new horse, after a brief inspection and congestion among themselves they all meandered back to where they came from and continued grazing.

With total freedom we moved Honner to a large paddock accompanied by Topaz the soft peacemaker. We decided to add the oldest horse Merc to aid Topaz in his role as comforter.

What followed on during the next three hours was very revealing; three horses independently slowly approached the gate and remained in this position with no intention of returning to the herd. We opened the gate for the first horse and this was repeated two more times.

So on his critical first evening he had two helpers and three volunteers to help him adjust, even the remaining horses displayed compassion in a collected effort to give him a soft landing.

Just to make these events more joyful, I was privy to witness the first genuine gesture of warmth and acceptance to Honner by one of the horses, and who was this horse you may ask? It was of course no other than the Clayton Alpha Horse Brodie. This has been captured on film and placed on the “Happy Snaps” page.

So it gives us much pleasure to once again to be in a position to offer the final stage in the rescue of another horse and give him a life he deserves.

Calan Horse Sanctuary would like to take this opportunity to commend TONY and his FEMALE STAFF of the centre plus CLARE and KAREN for what they have done to rescue this brave and courageous horse HONNER.





Cobber & Digger


As the News Item outlines, the known history of the above horses only goes back to February 2013.

What was involved in making our decision to take them resulted in becoming a very educational experience for those of us connected with their rescue.

When C.H.S. was initially asked to consider taking these two horses, we requested a period of two weeks to give us time to think about all the possibilities. Our answer was yes but on the condition that they bring one horse at a time, to give us time to settle each horse separately.

On perusing the photographs we received, we noticed both horses were licking the same mineral block together. This picture of such closeness made us reconsider our original request of one horse at a time. We now opted for them to arrive together, and it turned out to be the right decision. We realized our first decision was based too much on ourselves and not applying our chosen principal (The Horse Comes First)

The moment they arrived, we witnessed this close bond which led us to decide to give them new names. These names originated during World War 1 and 2 by the Australian Military fighting men, which were COBBER and DIGGER. The meanings of these two words became synonymous with the close bond of mateship.

In the photograph we see COBBER on the left and DIGGER on the right.





On the 30th December, 2012, Calan Horse Sanctuary welcomed a new resident.

Apart from the past three years, this lovely, gentle, twenty-year-old's history is a mystery. A delightful, kind hearted lady who was concerned for the welfare of the horse in his then present situation agreed to take him, but her circumstances changed and she tried to place him with other people. However when other potential new owners discovered how difficult he was to handle at pony clubs etc, they lost interest. Mixed signals may have contributed to the horses behaviour and led him to become confused to certain expectations placed upon him. After the three years C.H.S. was asked to consider taking him.

A new stable with amenities, a new equine family and a small clutch of humans made ready for his arrival.

On his arrival Tex was placed in a secure large holding pen. With interest we watched how he would cope with his new environment. The other horses, up in the far paddock screened by a bank of thick trees where unaware of his presence, but Tex was very aware of them even though he could not see them. He sniffed the air, then let out a loud series of whinnies and pranced expectantly the length of the pen. We withdrew to watch what would next unfold.

After a short while, the herd meandered down to inspect the new arrival. A beautiful greeting display of kindred souls unfolded before us.

Quietly, we mingled amongst them as each took turn to rub noses and sniff Tex. The feeling was magic as we found ourselves caught up in this very special moment.

Only one horse stood back from this greeting ceremony - REBEL - "THE BOSS"  he waited until all the "who-ha" subsided, then moved in. Ears back, and teeth bared, he lunged at Tex with intent. A new kid on the block Tex may have been, but not unaware of how this had to play out. In no uncertain terms he was being told "WHO" was King-Pin and where Tex stood in the pecking line. With time on his side, Tex will eventually find his place in the herd.

Attention to the newest members hooves, which had fallen on hard times, were attended to and an appointment set up with the equine dentist to repair a mouth full of sad looking teeth, which over the years had hindered him.

Tex has been blessed with a beautiful nature and the longer he spends at C.H.S he will come to know that no expectation will be placed upon him other than to receive the care and love that is so willingly provided.